OK so I haven't posted in a while. Things happened. I'm back now. So what does that mean for our 4 readers? One insanely serious post about the future of the Video Game Industry. Why? Because I've found the future.
In a few years, console gaming may just die because of a little service called OnLive. Basically it streams games to your computer. And the best part? You don't need some sort of massive $6000 computer. That crappy little laptop from 2 years ago that you use to read posts on this blog can do it. That means big titles like Crysis, Mirror's Edge, F.E.A.R. 2, Prince of Persia, Bioshock, and any other current game you can think of that's on a console. All you need is a High-Speed Internet Connection. Besides, who still uses Dial-up? OnLive works by streaming a game to you, kind of like how you watch a video on YouTube. In technical terms, it streams the game to your computer through the Internet. What does that mean for you? A ton of new games without the $400 price tag for that new PlayStation 3. Yeah, you still have to pay for the games, but you get all that next-gen graphics awesomeness on that old school laptop of yours. And you can get it on your TV too.
The way I see it, this is gonna kill the console gaming market. It's beyond revolutionary. OnLive is currently looking for beta testers, but it's only open to people in the U.S. for now. If you live down there, you wanna try this. For more information check here.
UPDATE: Smooth Operator reminded me that I should probably mention this: OnLive is far from perfect. It still needs a lot of work, but the potential is there and it is do-able. All I'm saying is that if this gets off the ground, console gaming may as well start a countdown to it's demise. If it doesn't work, then it's just another really great idea that failed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment